Thursday, March 20, 2014

With Mondo and Disney, Nothing's Impossible.

I have a love/hate relationship with the entertainment entity known as Mondo. Mondo Tees was originally created to act as the poster print wing of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema but has grown to a brand that at times seems to be in danger of eclipsing its grandfather organization (not a negative impact, just interesting).

I'm not going to waste space by going into my opinion on the manufactured exclusivity Mondo seems to push or the cut throat second-hand markets that have risen in their wake, there will be another time for that, because I have come here not to bury Mondo but to praise it and its newest gallery show organized to run concurrent with SXSW.


'Nothing's Impossible' is an art series that combines many of Mondo's best artists and the films of Disney. The show was a collaboration between Mondo and Oh My Disney, a Disney blog created by the company to make sharable media and content just begging to be reblogged on Tumblr. Tactful? Not quite. Manufactured? Perhaps. Engaging?


The photo above is of the line of people camped out in front of the Mondo gallery, some for days, all waiting to get a peak inside and a chance to purchase prints.  Yeah, it was engaging.

Even with my issues with both organizations I can't help but fall in love with this show. It represents eveything that I tend to love with Disney and seems to represent the adults my generation has become. So here, with no more prelude, are the official CultSig! selections from 'Nothing's Impossible'.

Sleeping Beauty by Billy Baumann

The Jungle Book by Olly Moss

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Variant) by Graham Erwin

The Black Cauldron by Francesco Francavilla

The Jungle Book by Brandon Holt

Alice in Wonderland by Ken Taylor

Ratatouille by Aaron Horkey
Skeleton Dance by Phantom City Creative

The Black Hole by Kilian Eng

Up by Mike Mitchell

The Sword in the Stone by Rich Kelly
My favorites from the above selected include 'The Sword in the Stone' by Rich Kelly and 'The Black Cauldron' by Francesco Francavilla, even though Brandon Holt's 'The Jungle Book' has received almost universal praise (and rightly so). Unfortunately I was unable to attend SXSW or have the free time (and money) to purchase any of these fantastic prints but, if like me, you were unable to attend the Mondo gallery  then you can see all the prints over at Oh My Disney blog.









3 comments:

  1. Great posters!

    Metal Goddesses http://metalgoddesses.blogg.se/

    FB
    https://www.facebook.com/metalgoddesses.blogg.se

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually heard of Skeleton Dance. Great poster, though. These are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after looking
    at many of the articles I realized it's new to
    me. Anyhow, I'm definitely pleased I found it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back
    often!

    My site; a-kasser i danmark

    ReplyDelete